Food & Beverage Review: Bronzeville Winery's Happy Hour!

Recently I  had an opportunity to DJ at Bronzeville Winery for their after work Happy Hour situation and got my mind blown! Not only because of the music I was listening to while DJing (lol), but also the dining, drinking, and socializing. We do this again on Wednesday August 30th 2023 from 5pm-9pm, which is also one of my birthday celebrations. We'll also be celebrating a few other Virgo birthdays. You should join us! 
In the meantime scroll down just below these two images to check out the review.

For menus and to make reservations please visit https://www.bronzevillewinery.com

  


Since turning 21 a few years ago (lol) I've been to several Happy Hours around Chicago and in other cities and I must say that BW ranks around the very top of the list. Not only do the items on the Happy Hour menu taste great, they're more filling to your pockets. Tremendous bang for your buck! Everything is $7! While dining, drinking, socializing, and DJ'ing I was very Happy! 

Happy Hour at Bronzeville Winery is from 4pm-6pm Wednesdays and Thursdays

Here's what is featured:

Cocktails with 18th Street Distillery spirts (Black owned) . Your choice of a cocktail with 18th Street's Gin, Vodka, Bourbon, or Rum as well as a couple of signature cocktails. 

Wine: Four wines featured. Red, White, and Rose, by House of Brown and Sparkling by Kramer (not affiliated with Kramer from Seinfeld).

Snacks/Shareables: Brussels, Tomato Basil Flatbread, Popcorn Shrimp, Beef Sliders, and Adobe Fries. 

The Drinks: I'm a connoisseur of spirits more than wine thus I did not order wine, but my friends enjoyed their wine selections. Since I'm a Gin fan I had a Gin cocktail. 18th Street Gin neat with a splash of water and orange, lemon, and lime as squeezable garnishes. Simple, tasty, and it was only $7! After Happy Hour ended I tried Uncle Yam's Old Fashioned with Uncle Nearest Premium Whiskey. I'll admit I wasn't ready for this. Outstanding! The flavors, presentation, and it's got strength yet a good balance of flavors without the Whiskey overpowering the cocktail. Also, the aromatics and flavor of the charred marshmallow is on point! One of the best and most creative Old Fashioned cocktails I've had in the city. This drink is not on the $7 Happy Hour menu. Nevertheless, it is on the regular menu and is definitely something you should order if you enjoy Whiskey/Whiskey cocktails or cocktails in general. 

 



The Food: So I ordered the Brussels, Popcorn Shrimp and the Tomato Basil Flatbread. Didn't order the sliders because I don't eat beef too frequently. Perhaps next time. I've had the Adobe fries during a previous visit. Good, but nothing extraordinary if you're a potato enthusiast like myself. If you order the fries you'll definitely enjoy the flavor and seasonings tho.

BW's Brussels aka Brussel Sprouts and I have had an off and on love affair. When BW first opened I raved about their Brussel Sprouts being the best in the city. Then I had them again a few months later and thought they were good, but not great. They have gone through a few changes over BW's existence, but the current version are just as good if not better than the original recipe from when they first opened. They're nice and crispy with a blood orange sesame glaze. Full of flavor like one of my Virgo birthday twins. I feel as though I can once again proclaim them as the best in the city! 

Popcorn Shrimp: Delicious! If you've tasted the Jumbo Shrimp you already know! Popcorn Shrimp is not on the dinner menu, but was a smart addition to the Happy Hour menu. They use the same batter/breading and seasoning as the Jumbo Shrimp and although Popcorn Shrimp are smaller they give you a nice enough amount to share with another person. Also, it would not make sense to include the Jumbo Shrimp on the Happy Hour menu since it's a $25 dish on the dinner menu, but by offering Popcorn Shrimp guests can receive a great shrimp dish that is also shareable for $7! That's Good business and Good food!

Tomato Basil Flatbread: I thought this dish was great for sharing because most people enjoy anything resembling pizza especially in social settings. I thought this dish was good, but not great. Please keep in mind that I'm a pizza snob and most pizza or flatbread comes with major scrutiny.  Flatbread IMO is not as good as traditional pizza, but flatbread is not pizza. In all fairness this dish was initially compared to some of my favorite pizza spots and BW is not a pizza joint. Truth be told, after drawing more parallel comparisons this dish is on par and actually better than many flatbread's I've had at other restaurants. If I could change anything about this dish it would be to incorporate more basil and make the crust crispier. With that being said I would definitely order this again because it's easy to share with a few friends, and it tastes good. Plus it's very reasonably priced at $7.  

Wild Mushroom Bucatini was very delicious and plentiful! It's not on the Happy Hour menu, but is on the dinner menu. Pictured below is a smaller serving on a sharing plate. The full order is enough for two adults and a chubby toddler. 



The Service: Last but not least is the service we received. IMO service is just as important as the cuisine and I've sometimes frequented an establishment if the service is very good and the food is just okay. Bronzeville Winery has both good cuisine and service. Their staff is always on point. This visit was no different. The bartenders, servers, hosts, and management are friendly, professional, knowledgeable, and courteous and make it easy to visit this establishment over and over again. We'll see you again or maybe for the first time on...

Wednesday August 30th for another Awesome dining and social experience with yours truly Sean Alvarez and the Good people at Bronzeville Winery!

Check out more DJ, live music, and social events by visiting






Comments