Chicago: Best In The City 2024

Pat's Pizza

Home Run Inn


Pizzeria Uno (The Original on Ohio Street, Chicago)







If you've taken Geometry in high school you know that 3.14 represents Pi. 3/14 is Pi/Pie Day which means we celebrate Pizza (and pies)! I've been eating pizza my entire life and have plenty of opinions about what is good, what is not good, what is overrated, and what pizza doesn't get enough praise. Being from Chicago I'm proud to say we have the BEST pizza in the country and possibly the world. Tavern style (thin crust), Pan, or Deep Dish. Take your pick. I'll put Chicago up against anybody. One thing I do realize is that no matter where you're from many people's affinity toward their favorite pizza has much to do with the pizza they grew up eating. I do have my favorites that create a sense of nostalgia, but can remain objective in giving props to what I consider to be good and even great.

When thinking about my history as a pizza connoisseur my three most mind blowing pizza experiences were the first time I ate at Home Run Inn here in Chicago, the first time I had Pizzeria Uno which is the original Deep Dish Pizza also here in Chicago, and the first time I had Pizzeria Do Chico in Rio De Janiero, Brasil (now closed). Home Run Inn captivated me with the flavorful butter crust and how it meshes so well with the sauce, herbs, and cheese. Such a unique and outstanding flavor. At ten years old I definitely had my first Whoa,WTF is this?! moment. Pizzeria Uno is magnificent and what stood out to me was the sauce and the flavor & texture of the crust. Nice, thick, and sturdy with a flavor of oil, butter, and cornmeal and they don't even use cornmeal. So delicious! Pizzeria Do Chico was something I totally was not expecting and even asked my homie jokingly if it was it better than Papa John's. The pizza was Amazing! A cracker thin crust pizza that you had to cut yourself and instead of parmesan, crushed peppers, and oregano on the table; they had a bottle of EVOO with olives, rosemary, and oregano marinating in the oil. Mind was blown to the point that I extended my trip 2 days so that I could eat there again.

I, of course enjoy all forms of pizza Chicago has to offer. My 2nd favorite is Detroit style square pan pizza and particularly like the oily crispy pan crust. Coming in 3rd is NY style pizza. NY pizza IMO is overrated largely in part to it's popularity and because some people just don't know any better (literally). Those who know better do better. Lol. Don't get me wrong there are a few spots in NY that I enjoy when visiting there, but when talking to New Yorkers about pizza I can always shut down any Chicago vs NY pizza argument by first letting them know Chicago is not just Deep Dish and by bringing up the fact that NY style pizza has these thick edges/crusts that don't have much flavor. Hearing people talk about how they use the edges of the crust to mop up the grease tasting good sounds like they are having a great nostalgic moment, but this gives credence to the idea that these people may find eating toast without butter enjoyable. Chicago tavern style/thin crust pizza has no useless crust because we take it to the edge and if there is some crust at the edge it actually tastes good and is a very enjoyable part of the pizza. i.e. Home Run Inn. Aside from the nostalgia of eating a NY slice while walking down the street and using the flavorless crust edges to mop up the grease, I have yet to hear someone tell me what actually tastes so good to make it the best pizza. When comparing thin crust to thin crust between NY and Chicago, Chicago wins hands down.

To be objective, I do enjoy some NY style pizza when I'm in NY. My first NY pizza experience was The Original Ray's (not Famous Ray's) in Greenwich Village. I think one of the slices I had was a breaded chicken with pesto and it was pretty good minus the flavorless crust/edges of course. Nevertheless, I appreciate the diverse array of toppings and combinations and although inferior to most pizza in Chicago I sometimes eat it because it gives me a chance to experience something different from the traditional toppings and combinations we do in Chicago. Honestly with most NY pizza spots I've eaten I generally don't really see or taste much difference from one place (especially from the widely acclaimed spots) to another. Very few spots have ever stood out to me to make me say damn, that tastes ridiculously good or is uniquely flavored. I mean many are okay, but nothing great. There however are two spots I have found that separate themselves from the pack and are my go to spots when in NY. Di Fara in Brooklyn and NY Pizza Suprema on 8th Ave near Madison Square Garden. If you're in New York and want a slice, go to either of these spots.

Now back to the Best In This City...

This idea originally started with pizza and what I find to be the Best in Chicago/Chicagoland area. Since then I thought I'd share my opinions on what other local cuisine/food novelties I enjoy and find to be the best in my travels as a food enthusiast over the years. Years ago while living in Atlanta I did a pretty comprehensive best of list that went well beyond food. Since Chicago is such a great food city I was long overdue for a list of this kind. When it comes to certain foods like the one's listed below I'm confident in my beliefs and what my palate tells me. You may or may not agree with some of the items on this list or the order of the rankings, but everything I've listed is great in my opinion and recommend you trying it for yourself.

Also, this list is somewhat fluid and may be updated periodically as I continually to try more foods and restaurants. If I find they deserve to be on this list, they will be.

Best Pizza (Deep Dish)- 1. Pizzeria Uno 2. Pizano's 3. Lou Malnati's 4. Gino's East 5. My Pi

Best Pizza (Thin Crust)- 1.Home Run Inn 2. Pat’s Pizza (on Lincoln)  3. Aurelio's 4. Giordano's

Best Pizza Slices- 1.Ricobene’s  2. Falco's 3. Italian Fiesta

Best Detroit Style Pizza- 1.Union Squared  2. Jet’s

Best NY Style Slice- 1. Dimo’s  2. Paulie Gee's 

Best Vegan Pizza- 1. My Pi (Deep Dish) w/Vegan Sausage


Best Burger- 1. The Loyalist  2. Au Cheval

Best Fries- 1. Al’s #1 Italian Beef  2. Portillo’s

Best Onion Rings- 1. The 50/Fifty  2. Soul Vegetarian

Best Chicago Style Greasy Spoon- 1. Portillo’s 2. Ariston (Hazel Crest)

Best Tacos - 1 Fat Rosie's (Salmon Taco especially) 2. Birrieria Zaragoza 


Best Popcorn- 1. Garrett Popcorn Shop 2. Mariano’s

Best Bakery/Pastries- 1. Gimme Some Sugah (South Shore)  2. Justice of The Pies 3. Mindy's Bakery

Best Pies- 1. Justice of The Pies 2. Bang Bang Pie

Best Cupcakes- 1. Sprinkles  2. Molly's Cupcakes 3. Magnolia Bakery

Best Carmel Cake- 1. Baker Sisters (Found at various Pete's and Local Market South Shore) 2. Angelica's

Best Donuts/Doughnuts- 1. Doughnut Vault 2. Krispy Kreme 3. Stan's Donuts

Best Italian Ice- 1.Ferro's (31st Street) 2. Freddie's on 31st 3. Mario's Italian Lemonade

Best Hot Chocolate- 1. Mindy's Bakery


Best Seafood Dining- 1. Pappadeaux  2. Shaw’s Crab House  3. Joe’s Stone Crab

Best Fried Seafood (hole in the wall)- 1. Surf’s Up   2. Dock’s

Best Shrimp & Grits- 1. Shaw’s Crab House 2. Bronzeville Winery 

Best Grits- 1. Bronzeville Winery  2. CheSa's Bistro 3. Luella's Southern Kitchen

Best Chicken & Waffles- 1. Ronda's Ridiculous Waffles 2. Harvest Room

Best Fried Chicken- 1. Harold's Fried Chicken King 2. Eat N Run

Best Chicken Sandwich- 1.Chick Fil A  2. Popeye’s  3.Hot Chi 

Best Wings - 1. Chef Kareem of Slick's Lounge- Jerk Wings 2. Hooter's 3. Reggie's

Best Fried Mushrooms- 1. Brown’s Chicken and Pasta  2. Soul Vegetarian

Best Brussel Sprouts- 1.Bronzeville Winery 2. The Gage 3. The Exchange


Best Vegan- 1. Spirit Elephant  2.Chicago Diner  3. Native Foods (Downtown)

Best Soul Food- 1. Virtue.  2. Cleo's 

Best Jerk- 1. Irie Jerk Hut   2. Jerk Villa

Best Brunch- 1. CheSa’s Bistro  2. Wishbone 3. Bronzeville Winery

Best Breakfast- 1. Harvest Room. 2. Lou Mitchell's 

Best Cheesesteak/Steak Sandwich- 1. Philly’s Best (Jackson St)  2. Home of The Hoagy (111th St)

Best Deli Sub Shop- 1. Vinnie's Sub Shop  2. J.P. Graziano

Best Sandwich- 1. Ricobene's Chicken Vesuvio

Best Gyro- 1. Ariston (Hazel Crest)

Best French Cuisine- 1.Chez Joel Bistro

Best Italian Cuisine- 1.La Scarola 2. Mart Anthony’s 3. Pizza Capri (Hyde Park)

Best Chinese Food- 1. Evergreen (Chinatown) 2. Triple Crown (Chinatown)

Best Indian Cuisine- 1. Gaylord Fine Indian Cuisine 2. Hema's Kitchen

Best Thai - 1. Siam Marina (Tinley Park)

Best Dining Experience- 1. Next  


Best Cocktails- 1. Punch House   2. Maria’s Packaged Goods

Best Bar/Spirits Collection- 1. Billy Sunday  2. The Whistler

Best Local Spirit- 1. Few Distillery  2. NG Distillery

Best Happy Hour- 1. Cafe Ba Ba Reeba 2. Bronzeville Winery

Best Food Hall/Food Court- 1. Time Out Market 2. Revival Food Hall


Filter'd by Sean Alvarez

If You Don't Know You Betta Ask Somebody!

JLC



Comments